Stirrups are provided to hold the main reinforcement rebars together in an RCC structure. Stirrups are placed at proper intervals to beams and columns to prevent them from buckling. Also, they protect RCC structures from collapsing during seismic activities (earthquakes).
Purpose Of Stirrups
- Its increases the compressive strength of the column.
- It can improve the ductility of the column.
- Stirrups prevent the buckling of the main reinforcement in the column.
- At the time of concreting, it prevents movement of the main reinforcement
- Improve dowel action of column reinforcement.
- In beam stirrups used for lump sum same purpose as in a column.
- To provide lateral confinement to longitudinal bars
- It provides resistance against shear and torsion
- To hold longitudinal bars during construction
- It confines the concrete in the core, thus improving ductility and strength
- It prevents premature buckling of individual bars